More and more people are suffering from fluid retention in their legs and abdomen. But what are the symptoms and what can be done about them?
The fluid retention in the legs and abdomen is a problem that affects more and more people. The causes can be varied, sometimes temporary, in other cases permanent.
In most cases, an unhealthy lifestyle is the cause of such ailments. Sedentary lifestyle and poor nutrition mean that the body is not properly cleansed and fluids are retained.
Fluid build-up has the greatest effect on the legs and abdomen
Here are some symptoms of fluid retention :
- The legs lose their shape and the ankles are practically invisible. They become stiff and misshapen. If you press on the skin with your finger, this mark will remain visible for a few seconds.
- In the late afternoon or evening , the trousers appear smaller than in the morning because the legs and stomach are swollen.
- The whole body becomes heavy. It is difficult to walk because your legs are just too heavy. The person concerned is apparently tired for no reason.
Measures to remove fluid retention in the legs and abdomen
Once the fluid retention problem is identified, there are some effective steps that you should definitely consider and follow:
- Under no circumstances should you stop drinking water to get rid of fluid retention. On the contrary, the habit of drinking plenty of water will help the body to purify itself and to expel the stored fluids.
- The first step will be to eliminate or reduce salt from your diet. Salt causes retention. Therefore, replacing salt with herbs in the home kitchen is the first step. It is important not to overeat sausage and to choose unsalted or low-sodium products. If you don’t cook yourself, you should order dishes without salt.
- The water retention will not go away immediately. The salt stays in the body for forty-eight hours. But when those two days without salt are over, your legs and stomach will certainly lose weight and all discomfort should go away.
- Carbohydrates, especially refined ones, can also cause fluid retention. If you consume less of it, you support your body in excreting excess fluids again.
- When you excrete water, the body also loses potassium. Cramps are common with a potassium deficiency because the muscles need potassium. Therefore, when starting a diet, you should eat foods rich in potassium to eliminate fluid retention. Bananas, vegetables, cabbage, and chard are high in potassium.
Further measures against fluid retention
- It is best to eat foods that act as natural drainage aids. These include pineapple, blueberries, and watermelon. You can also consume these foods as a preventative against water retention if you are prone to this problem.
- Physical activity is essential. It is necessary to get used to a lifestyle with adequate exercise. This improves blood and fluid circulation and thus promotes the elimination of waste.
- Experts advise drinking infusions with herbs and spices, which have a dehydrating effect. If you choose to do this, it makes sense to get good advice before enjoying it.
- Whenever possible, you should lie on your back and keep your legs straight up. If you take this position for ten minutes, you will help your legs to swell more quickly.
- Lymphatic drainage massages. This is a technique that is performed with the hands and with very gentle movements. It promotes the circulation of the lymph and thus regulates the body’s water balance. There are experts in lymphatic drainage, but you can learn to do it at home too.
- If fluid retention occurs very frequently and persists for a long time, it is necessary to see a doctor. The cause can be poor kidney function.
Also, there are hormonal reasons that cause fluid retention, especially during menstruation or pregnancy. Most likely, once the hormonal balance is restored, the problem will go away. However, pregnant women should consult a doctor if they suffer from these symptoms.
Basically, you should know that fluid retention in the legs and stomach is not just a question of aesthetics and weight. Behind this symptom there can be conditions that require treatment.