Is lemon water good for weight loss? Experts say lemon is an excellent digestive cleanser and lemon water promotes weight loss in several ways. This article tells you all about how to consume lemon water for optimum health benefits.
Is Lemon Water Good For Weight Loss?
It is crucial to verify the suitability of any diet plan to your unique health condition and weight loss needs. It is thus best to consult an experienced doctor and a qualified nutritionist before making any changes in your daily diet. It will help prevent any health complications, deficiencies or food allergies and achieve healthy weight loss.
Yes, lemon water helps in weight loss. A glass of freshly squeezed lemon water contains only six calories. It boosts your body’s metabolic rate by inducing thermogenesis. It also promotes satiety by preventing unwanted calorie intake. All these factors combined will enhance weight loss.
How Does Lemon Water Help In Weight Loss?
Packed with potent antioxidants and nutrients, lemon water provides excellent weight loss benefits. Drinking warm lemon water the first thing in the morning helps jump-start metabolism by inducing thermogenesis. This means that the body burns more calories to produce heat. You will also experience improved bowel movement, which helps the body get rid of toxins faster than usual.
Further, having lemon water a few minutes before your meals can boost fullness and limit overeating. You are likely to eat up to 200 calories lesser than usual. It also reduces inflammation in the body, increases your physical performance during workouts, prevents bloating and weight gain due to water retention.
Nutritional Composition Of Lemon
The nutritional value of one lemon is as follows:
Total calories: 18.8
- Proteins: 0.71g
- Carbohydrates: 6g
- Fats: 0.19g
- Water: 57.8g
- Calcium: 16.9mg
- Magnesium: 5.2mg
- Phosphorus: 10.4mg
- Potassium: 89.7mg
- Vitamin C: 34.4mg
- Folate: 7.15µg
- Small traces of zinc, copper, iron, selenium, thiamine, vitamin B6, niacin and more.
Top 5 Benefits Of Lemon Water For Your Body
- Boosts Metabolism: Drinking lemon water, especially in the morning, boosts your metabolism. It enhances thermogenesis and mitochondrial function to improve the body’s metabolic rate by around 30% for 40 minutes. It also works as a laxative aiding your digestion and reducing the build-up of toxins in the body.
- Promotes Weight Loss: Regardless of exercise or diet, drinking lemon water before meals can help reduce calorie intake and stimulate weight loss. It makes you feel full for longer, thus decreasing your calorie intake by 13%. Lemon also contains pectin, which slows down the digestion of sugars and starch. It improves gut health and reduces frequent cravings for unhealthy food.
- Increases Fat Loss: Research shows that good digestion and adequate hydration by drinking lemon water may help increase fat loss in the body.
- Detoxifies The Body: Lemon water enables the liver to produce more bile and flush toxins. It also keeps the body hydrated, thereby decreasing water retention. Lemon contains potassium, which helps replenish lost nutrients.
- Healthy Beverage Alternative: Lemon is a great replacement for high-calorie beverages such as sodas and packaged fruit juices. Consuming one glass of lemon water can help reduce your daily calories intake by up to 200 calories.
Added Health Benefits Of Lemon Water
- Heightens Immunity: The high antioxidant and Vitamin C content in lemons protect your body cells from oxidative damage and improve immunity. One lemon provides around 18.6 mg of Vitamin C.
- Improves Skin Quality: The Vitamin C in lemon improves skin’s texture, quality and appearance. It also protects skin from sun damage and early ageing.
- Prevents Kidney Stones: The acidic composition of lemon helps prevent the formation of kidney stones. Citrate is a component of citric acid found in lemons that can break down small kidney stones.
- Freshens Breath: Lemon works against bacteria that cause bad breath while preventing your mouth from drying up.
- Better Health: Lemon is a powerhouse of nutrients with antioxidant properties and protects us against free radicals. Its anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-parasitic effects help improve cardiovascular and overall health.
- Can Prevent Cancer: The presence of modified citrus pectic (MCP) and limonoids could prevent certain cancers.
Side Effects Of Drinking Lemon Water
- The citric acid in lemon water may affect tooth enamel and erode it. In some people, it may cause increased tooth sensitivity.
- Some people may experience heartburn and acid reflux after drinking lemon water.
- Lemon water is a diuretic and increases your urine output.
How To Make Lemon Water For Weight Loss?
Here are 9 simple and easy lemon water recipes for weight loss.
The most important tip: always use fresh lemons.
1. Lemon Water With Salt: Squeeze half a lemon in warm water and add a pinch of pink salt. Take it on an empty stomach every morning.
2. Honey Lemon Water: Squeeze half a lemon into lukewarm water and add one tablespoon of honey. Stir well. You can have this twice a day.
3. Ginger Lemon Water: In a pan, boil water with ginger. Then, squeeze half a lemon in a separate glass and pour the ginger water through a strainer. You can replace your evening tea with this beverage to get weight loss benefits.
4. Lemon Mint Water: Squeeze half a lemon in cold water and add some fresh mint leaves for this refreshing drink. It is best served chilled. You can sip it throughout the day or also make ice pops.
5. Lemon Cinnamon Water: Squeeze half a lemon in lukewarm water and add a pinch of ground cinnamon. Drink it early morning every alternate day. Make sure you have your breakfast after a gap of 20-30 minutes.
6. Lemon Cumin Water: Start by boiling cumin or jeera in water and then add lemon slices. Strain the blend and your warm lemon cumin water is ready to drink.
7. Lemon Turmeric Water: Squeeze a lemon in lukewarm water and add a pinch of turmeric to it. It works well early morning on an empty stomach.
8. Lemon Cucumber Water: Add cucumber slices to a litre of lemon water and sip it through the day.
9. Lemon Infused Water: Cut slices of lemons, fruits such as oranges and grapes, herbs like basil, sprigs of mint, etc., store it in a pitcher and enjoy the drink throughout the day.
Best Time To Drink Lemon Water To Lose Weight
Choose a time that is best suitable for you: drinking lemon water early in the morning will boost your metabolism while having it before meals will stop you from overeating.
Lemon water offers excellent health benefits for both weight loss and weight management. It helps by improving digestion, metabolism, detoxification, endurance, satiety, and hydration. Include it in your daily routine and experience notable changes in your mind and body.
For a customised weight loss plan that suits your unique weight goals, food habits and lifestyle, visit Oliva Skin & Hair Clinic. Our experts will ensure that you reach your ideal weight healthily while cultivating a disciplined lifestyle.