Most of the time, kids are curious to perform activities at home or this question might cross your mind: what to do at home for kids? In such situations, you might fail to answer them or yourself. But from now on, you can give them ideas to arrange some simple yet cool science experiments. It will keep kids entertained while learning various scientific facts.
Here is a list of home activities for kids.
List of Home Activity for Kids
1. Orange Fizz
The process for these fun things to do when bored at home for kids is as follows:
- An orange
- Baking powder ( 1/2 teaspoon)
Steps for Experiment
- Peel the orange into separate sections or cut it into slices.
- Take it and dip it in the baking powder.
- Put it in your mouth. You will feel bubbles in your mouth.
Why Does This Happen?
All the sour fruits like orange, lemon, and amla contain citric acid. Unlike other acids like hydrochloric acid, sulphuric acid, or nitric acid, it is a weak acid. Thus, you can ingest it without worrying. On the other hand, baking powder is a base. When a weak acid reacts with any base, the solution neutralizes and releases carbon dioxide gas bubbles.
Precautions to Take
- Experiment under adult supervision.
- Don’t ingest a lot of baking powder because our stomach is slightly acidic because of hydrochloric acid released by stomach walls. Thus, more consumption of baking powder ( a base ) can disturb the Ph of the stomach.
Acids are sour. Thus, fruits that contain acid like orange or lemon are sour.
Also Read: Personality Development Activities for Children: Simple Ways to Make Them Stand Out
2. The Glass Storm
A fun home activity for kids is the glass storm. The process:
- Shaving Cream
- A Large Glass
- Food Colouring
- A Spoon
Steps of Experiments
- Take and glass and fill it 1/2 with water.
- Take the shaving cream and spray it on the water. Fill it up to 3/4 of the glass.
- Use a spoon or your fingers to flatten the shaving cream on the top of the water. Make sure the cream is spread evenly on the water.
- Take a separate bowl and fill it with half a cup of water. Then take ten drops of food colouring (you can take the colour of your preference) and mix it with the bowl water.
- Stir the solution of the bowl for 1 min. Now, add the coloured water on the top of the shaving cream. Don’t add the entire bowl in one go. Use a spoon and add slowly.
- When the water gets heavy, you will see a beautiful colourful storm in the water.
Why Does This Happen
When the water bodies receive heat from the sun, they start evaporating. The water turns in the gas form known as water vapours. These vapours are light and rise high in the sky. The clouds hold millions and trillions of these vapours until they get too heavy and start releasing vapours in forms like rain, snow, hail, or sleet. The state of precipitation depends on the area where it falls. For example, in high altitudes, the temperature is low, the vapour turns into snow.
Precaution to Take
- Don’t take a steel glass. Take a transparent glass to watch the storm from outside.
- Keep shaving cream away from the eyes, ears, nose, and mouth of kids.
- If using a container made of glass, remain careful. The kids might break the glass, hurting themselves.
Broadly, you are watching a part of the water cycle in the glass.
3. A Volcanic Eruption
Whenever this question comes to your mind, what to do at home for kids, arrange a miniature Volcanic eruption for them. The entire process for this fun home activity for kids is:
- Dish soap ( 10ml )
- Warm water (100ml )
- White vinegar (400ml)
- Food colouring
- Baking soda slurry
- An empty soda bottle of 2 litres
Steps to Make Baking Soda Slurry
Add water to the remaining space in the cup. After collecting each ingredient, you are ready for a simple kids science experiment at home.
Steps of Experiment
- Put the empty soda bottle on the ground or on a table. Add water, vinegar, two drops of food colouring, and dish soap to it.
- Now, add the baking soda slurry and enjoy the wild volcano in your home.
Why Does This Happen?
Do you ever notice, when you open a bottle of soft drinks, gas comes out rapidly? If the bottle is small, the gas comes out of the bottle. The same phenomenon occurs here. Vinegar contains acetic acid and baking powder is a base. As you already know, acids and bases react to release carbon dioxide. It is the same gas used to carbonate drinks. When you add the base and acid, the gas gets excited. It does not get enough space in the bottle to spread. Thus comes out looking like a volcano.
Precautions to Take
- Before adding the slurry, stir it properly. Make sure the solution becomes all liquid.
- After adding slurry, step back immediately. Otherwise, your kid might end up getting wet.
- Avoid experimenting inside the home. If you perform it at home, then put significant items like electronic devices, papers, or clothes placed around.
It is not the actual volcanic eruption. However, it gives you a look at the wilderness of volcanic eruptions. Besides, hot lava comes out rather than gas.
These are some of the things to do when bored at home for kids.
Also Read: Educational Activities for Preschoolers: Let Your Kids Have Fun While Learning
Many times kids get bored and start watching cartoons or playing video games. In such times, you can encourage them to perform these simple science experiments. It will give them two-way benefits. First of all, they will learn practical applications of science. You will also find a change in their love of academics. Thus, these home activities are a win-win deal for you.