Learn how to deal with water leaking into basement after heavy rain in order to protect your house. Furthermore, this way you can prevent some costly damages too.
Table of Contents
Water Leaking into Basement after Heavy Rain
It is always an alarming problem when there is leakage into the basement of your house, especially after the heavy rain. The leaks can prove dangerous and even fatal in some cases.
Therefore, it is necessary to overcome this issue because it can cause a great loss both to the budget as well as the lives of the residents.
Many people face this issue after it rains heavily. After the rain, the soil absorbs water but when the water exceeds the soaking capacity, it starts leaking from the floor and walls. In this way, the foundations of your house are damaged and they lose their strength.
The first thing you need to know is the reason which causes leakage in the basement. If you notice any of the following signs, there are chances of water leaking into the basement:
1) Formation of Ponds:
When it rains heavily and there are ponds formed very close to the foundation of your house.
2) Puffy Doors and Windows:
If the doors and windows of your house become puffy with humidity.
3) Leaning Walls:
If the walls of your basement are leaning, there are chances of leakage.
How to Tell Where Water is Coming into Basement?
When there is water in your basement, then it becomes necessary to find out where this water is coming from. There can be multiple sources of water present in the basement as it is the lowest part of your house.
Water can come from floods, sewerage pipes, drains, foundations, etc. Every cause has its method of repairing.
Water can come into the basement due to the following reasons:
- Condensation:Water can come from condensation so no need to worry in this case.
- Blockage: Downspout blockage can also be a reason for water coming into your basement.
- Cracks in foundations:The cracks on the foundation wall can also welcome water into the basement.
- Leakage in the building infrastructure:Leakage in the water pipes, tiles, windows, and roof can lead water to leak into the basement.
- Heavy rains: The floods and rains can be a big reason for the water coming into the basement.
How to Get Water Out of Basement Without a Pump?
A pump is used to keep your basement water-free as it has the power to absorb water into it. But what to do if you have no pump or if electricity is not coming as the pump operates with electrical power.
The main thing is that you have to wipe out water from the basement. So, you can do it with a pump in the following manner:
- Mop:You can use a mop for clearing the water from your basement floor if the water is not deep. But if it is deep, then use buckets to clean the basement.
- Hand Pump:It can also be an alternate solution to scope out the water as it does not require any electric power. You can plug a hand pump directly into the unit.
- Vacuum Cleaner:If your pump is not working and there is water in your basement, then you can also clean it with a vacuum cleaner. Plug it and just start sucking water.
How to Stop Water from Coming up Through the Basement Floor?
Water leaking into the basement is not a small issue. It can be a prediction of some big problem.
When there is heavy rain, the basement is moisturized, and water is found there then do not sit quietly. It is time to find out the solution. You can stop the water coming up through the basement floor in the following way:
If you install a drainage system in your house, you will prevent the foundation of your home from hydrostatic pressure, and it can also prevent the water to leak into the basement.
You can protect your basement from water by using a waterproofing membrane coat on the foundation walls. In this way, you can fill all holes and cracks that are a cause of water coming into the basement.
Sometimes the gutters in the lawn may get filled leading to breakage inside them. So, it can also be a reason for water coming into the basement. You can stop it by cleaning the gutters and repairing them.
Repair leaked Pipes:
If the water is coming into the basement through leak pipes, then replace them immediately.
How to Fix a Leaking Crack in Basement Wall?
Basement walls are the foundation for the whole house. So, you need to keep them protected to make the house protected. You can do it by yourself, but it requires some skills to do it properly.
If the crack is big, then you need to contact some professional to get rid of the issue completely with technical solutions. You can fix a leaking crack in the basement wall by following the given steps:
- First of all, you need to clean the crack from any paint and concrete. This is because the refill material cannot properly be fixed into the crack if there is anything in the crack.
- Align the injection points with a nail within the crack.
- Take two epoxy crack sealers and mix them with an equal amount.
- Now spread this mixture of sealer onto the crack.
- Distribute the LCR epoxy on the crack starting from the lowest injection using a sealing gun.
- Now fill up the ports and keep them filled for 5 days. Then cut the necks of the ports. In this way, you can fill up the cracks of your basement walls efficiently.
How to Prevent Condensation on Basement Walls?
As already mentioned, that the condensation can also lead to leakage of the water in your basement. If you feel your basement smelly and moisturized, then you need to prevent it as it can put a burden on your budget if you avoid it. You can prevent the basement walls from condensation in the following manner:
- Install a fan in your basement and clean all the things present in the basement like furniture.
- A dehumidifier, as well as an air-conditioner, can also help you to prevent condensation. But an air-conditioner is far more expensive than a dehumidifier. So, it is recommended to use a dehumidifier.
- Use the dehumidifier until the humidity level gets down to 65 percent.
- Cover all the pipes with the foam to insulate them so that you can get rid of condensation. The foam is available in hardware stores.
Water leaking into basement is a serious problem, but it does not mean that you cannot fix it. You can fix it by following the guidelines given in the article and can save yourself from a big loss.