Try these at-home and clinical treatments to reduce double chin once and for all
Do you have a double chin? If so, you are among half of the world population that has submental fullness (also called double chin), which can appear due to excess fat, skin laxity, ageing, and genetics. Let’s discuss some of the best at-home treatments as well as clinical procedures for getting rid of a double chin and the insecurities that come with it.
At-home solutions for double chin treatment
- Vitamin E: Vitamin E is rich in antioxidants, which protects the skin from external damage and keeps it moisturised. It also improves skin elasticity and reduces the appearance of a double chin, fine lines, and sagging skin. Incorporate vitamin E-rich foods in your diet like nuts, beans, peanuts, sweet corn, apple, brown rice, and green leafy vegetables. You can also use it directly on the face—extract the oil from vitamin E capsules, apply on the jaw and upper neck, gently massage in an upward motion for a few minutes and leave it overnight.
- Sunscreen: Overexposure to ultraviolet radiations in sunlight can damage skin’s collagen, which speeds up skin ageing and sagging. The ageing process can cause a double chin and make it more pronounced. Therefore, protecting your face from the sun is highly recommended for double chin treatment. Everyone, regardless of colour, should regularly wear sunscreen to prevent sun damage.
- Facial tools: Facial exercises can reflect positive anti-ageing results as they tighten and tone the facial muscles. Similarly, jawline exercises can help in double chin removal. You can use a jade roller for facial exercises. This ancient Chinese facial tool is said to strengthen circulation, encourage lymphatic drainage, and relax facial muscles. Gua sha stone is another popular tool that can stimulate the microcirculation of soft tissues.You can also perform facial exercises without tools. Try a straight jaw jut, tongue stretch, neck stretch, or a bottom jaw jut.
In-clinic procedures for double chin treatments
- Hyaluronic acid (HA) fillers: Hyaluronic acid fillers are a minimally-invasive, injectable treatment for double chin removal and jawline contouring. They hydrate the target area and boost the skin’s ability to build new collagen and elastin. During the treatment, the concerned professional administers a topical anaesthetic to minimise any discomfort. Patients can see a visible difference right after the procedure, and it lasts around 8 to 12 months.
- Radiofrequency: Radiofrequency is an FDA-approved procedure that heats the deep layers of the skin to contract and tighten the skin’s collagen and stimulate new collagen production. It improves skin quality, tightness and firmness. Additionally, the heat melts fat around the chin and jawline, making it suitable for double chin treatment. This non-invasive procedure with no downtime involves minimal side effects and discomfort. It provides noticeable results after the first few treatments and continues to improve up to six months.
- Microneedling: Microneedling boosts natural collagen and elastin formation with minimal epidermal damage and maximum coverage. The Dermapen fractional microneedling system enhances skin rejuvenation and aids in double chin treatment via staggered piercing of needles into the epidermis and dermis.Microneedling helps the body remodel, rejuvenate, and heal itself without thermal energy, chemicals, light, or lasers. It is effective for double chin removal, skin tightening and lifting, removing fine lines, lightening hyperpigmentation, treating acne scars, and more.
- Thread lift: Thread lift is a minimally invasive alternative to facelift surgery that offers instant results with no downtime. Fully absorbable, medical-grade sutures are used to stitch up the skin so that it’s drawn taut, resulting in a subtle, natural-looking lift. Thread lift stimulates microcirculation, fibroblasts, and collagen synthesis at a cellular level to improve skin laxity and overall texture. Its results peak at around four to six months post-treatment and last up to 18 months.
- Laser skin tightening: The laser technique is a non-invasive, non-surgical double chin removal method that reduces volume and tightens skin with minimal to no downtime. During the process, an infrared light laser penetrates the skin to generate heat in a controlled manner—causing collagen to constrict and make skin tighter. It encourages collagen and elastin production for a firm and younger-looking appearance.
To find the best double chin removal treatment plan for you, book a consultation with us here or call on +971 4 346 6641.